WE FLEW TO BOSTON. WE THEN RENTED A CAR AND DROVE TO
BAR HARBOR, MAINE (ONE OF THE FAMOUS MARINAS ALONG
WITH ACADIA NATIONAL PARK) AND SPENT OVERNIGHT
BEFORE WE TOOK A FERRY IN THE EARLY NEXT MORNING.
TOUR MAP (CLICK ON THE MAP TO ENLARGE.)
CAT FERRY FROM BAR HARBOR, MAINE TO
YARMOUTH, NOVA SCOTIA FOR MORE THAN 4 HOURS
HERE WE ARE IN YARMOUTH, NOVA SCOTIA.
PEGGY'S COVE IS ABOUT 43 KILOMETERS SOUTHWEST OF
DOWNTOWN HALIFAX. IT IS ONE OF MOST POPULAR STOPS FOR
TOURISTS. According to legend, Peggy'S Cove was named
after the only survivor of a schooner that ran aground
and sank in 1800'S. a woman named MargAret. Local folk
called her "Peggy" and her home came to be known as
Peggy's Cove. Known as the idyllic fishing village,
Peggy's Cove IS Set on rocky shores, the lighthouse and
village at Peggy's Cove are a photographer's paradise.
Despite its popularity this tiny fishing village has been
able keep the same relaxed atmosphere that has made
it famous. Peggy's Cove is certainly one of Canada's gems.
A really good museum about Nova Scotia's
relationship with the sea. There's also a good
exhibition about the Titanic with some artifacts
like a deck chair. There are a few hundred of the
Titanic victims buried in two cemeteries here,
Fairview and the Jewish Cemetery. There is also a detailed
exhibit on the Halifax Explosion that happened in 1917.
FAIRVIEW CEMETERY WHERE SOME TITANIC VICTIMS WERE BURIED.
ANOTHER FERRY TO PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
Green Gables, located in Cavendish in the Prince
Edward Island National Park, is a popular tourist
destination. Each year hundreds of thousands of
visitors from around the world visit the site which
inspired the setting for L.M. Montgomery to create her
beloved tale of a red-haired orphan, Anne of Green Gables.
WHAT DOES '?' MEAN?
A BARN? NO, IT MEANS VISITOR'S/INFORMATION CENTER.
YOU COME IN AND ASK QUESTIONS. IT IS EVERYWHERE!
The Prince Edward Island Potato Museum is located in
the community of O'Leary in the western part of Canada's
smallest province. It is surrounded by fertile potato
growing fields where the humble potato has played an
important role in the economy for many years. The
museum depicts an interesting display of the potato
industry, and houses a large collection of farm
implements and machinery related to the growing and
harvesting of potatoes. In fact, this museum contains
the largest exhibit of potato artifacts in the world!
In 1999 a major expansion was constructed to
accommodate the Potato Hall of Fame, the
extraordinary national Amazing Potato Exhibit, and
incorporates the Community Museum. The building now
covers over 7000 square feet and is air conditioned for
your comfort. Collectors of the curious will be pleased
to find a recently added giant sculptured potato at
the entrance to the museum. The complex includes other
attractions on site such as the Heritage Chapel, the
Log Barn and the Little Red Schoolhouse.
BOTTLE HOUSES IN Cap-Egmont (CITY NAME)
The first bottle house was built in 1980 out of approximately
12,000 bottles; it measures 20 feet x 14 feet with three main
sections. Its six gables and the patterns produced by the
careful choosing of colors and sizes of bottles truly makes
this a unique building. Mr. Arsenault* would cement between
300 and 400 bottles per row, using a total of approximately
85 bags of cement over a six month period.
*Who is Edouard Arsenault?
Edouard was born in 1914, son of Emmanuel and Roséline
Arsenault of Cap-Egmont where he lived all his life, except
for the years he served in the Second World War with the
8th N.B. Princess Louise Hussars in the United Kingdom, the
Central Mediterranean area and Continental Europe (1941-1946).
Fisherman by trade, at first with his father Emmanuel and
later on his own, Édouard also worked as a carpenter during
the non-fishing seasons most of his life, including boat
building and construction work. In 1948, he married Rosina
Leclerc of Urbainville, P.E.I. For several years, they resided
in the Cap-Egmont lighthouse where Edouard served as
the last resident lighthouse keeper. Their two elder
children, Yvette and Réjeanne - the present owner of the
Bottle Houses, were raised there for a few years until
such time as the lighthouse was automated in 1957; the family
then moved to the residence presently on the grounds of
the Bottle Houses and two sons, Maurice and Pierre, were
born shortly afterwards. Edouard's strong Acadian roots
also led him to contribute greatly to the development of
the Evangeline area, his home community. Even after his
retirement, his creative energy and his sense of humour,
very much Acadian, were channelled in his architectural
project of transforming over 25,000 bottles into the
colorful souvenirs he has left for all of us to admire.
The third building constructed by the late Édouard
Arsenault is truly a work of art. Approximately 10,000
bottles were transformed in 1983 to become a magnificent
little chapel, complete with pews and altar. At the time of
his sudden death at the age of 70, in the spring of 1984,
Mr. Arsenault still had a bit of work to do: he intended to
make the steeples higher and the front pew was not quite
completed. At sunset, a symphony of light and colors
streams in from behind the altar. Visitors are likely to
sense a feeling of peace and tranquility as they
admire the final chapter of Arsenault's work.
Confederation Bridge is currently the longest bridge in
the world over ice covered salt water. It is part of the
Trans-Canada Highway in the Atlantic Provinces region
of Eastern Canada. The bridge connects Prince Edward
Island with the mainland at New Brunswick.
Construction on the bridge began in the fall of 1993.
Lobbying for a bridge across Northumberland Strait had
been an issue for years. Since 1873, access to P.E.I. had been
by ferry. As the population grew and tourism increased, so did
the cost of operating the ferry service. In the winter the
ferry service was affected by freezing arctic winds and ice
jams which caused delays and cancellations. By the 1990s
modern technology made construction of a bridge feasible.
Building the bridge was a challenge that included civil
engineering, marine and ocean engineering, and geomatics. It
was completed over a four year period with over 2000 people
working on it at most any given time. The piers were modeled
after the shape of ice-breaker hulls. The cone shaped base
causes thick sheets of ice to break apart upon impact and flow
around the pier. The arrangement of the piers and the rest
of the structure was designed to have the least amount
of impact on the surrounding environment.
The spans of the bridge are of a concrete box girder
design. There are 65 seperate sections that were
constructed on land and then transported to their final
location by a "floating crane". One of the largest marine
cranes in the world was brought in from Denmark to float
the massive sections into the strait where they were
precisely set in place using satellite global positioning.
The bridge was designed to last 100 years in the harsh
climate and to withstand impacts from passing ships.
The bridge opened in the spring of 1997. The 12 minute trip
across the 12.9 kilometers of bridge was much shorter
than the three hour trip by ferry. The two lanes are
monitored 24/7 by Strait Crossing Bridge Limited, the
company that operates and maintains the Confederate
Bridge. Emergency call boxes are spaced 750 meters
apart across the bridge. There are also video cameras on
the bridge and it is patrolled regularly to assist any
motorists experiencing a problem. The toll for 2003 is
$38.50 for an automobile which is less than the cost of
taking the ferry. A motorcyle toll costs $15.25. The only
time a toll is collected is when you leave Prince
Edward Island to return to the mainland.
nOTE: THERE IS A TALK ABOUT USING SAME DESIGN FOR A NEW
BRIDGE BETWEEN ALASKA AND rUSSIA.
The spectacle of the Reversing Falls takes place
just before the St. John River enters the Bay of
Fundy at Saint John, New Brunswick. The Reversing
Falls are caused when the river has to pass
through a narrow gorge and by the huge rise
and fall of the tides in the Bay of
FOR MORE INFORMATION, CHECK OUT AT
THE SUMMER HOUSE OF OUR FORMER
U.S. PRESIDENT FRANKLIN D. ROOSEVELT
WE ARE BACK TO BAR HARBOR, MAINE.
ON CADILLAC MOUNTAINS AT ACADIA NATIONAL PARK;
CITY OF BAR HARBOR IN THE BACKGROUND
OUR LAST FRESH SEAFOOD TREAT;
WE SAT AT TOP DECK AND RIGHT CORNER.
THE CAT FERRY IS RUNNING PAST US. ITS ROUTE REPEATS!
ONE OF OUR COLLECTIONS:
CAPTAIN "OLD SALTY" SAYS
"GOOD BYE AND HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN."