BANGKOK -- PART 6
WAT YAI CHAIMONGKHON
A small token given to bring good luck.
The construction of Wat Mahathat was begun during the reign of King Borommarachathirat 1 in 1374 A.D. but it was completed during the reign of King Ramesuan (1388-1396 A.D.). When King Songtham (1680-1628 A.D.) was in power the main prang (Khmer-style tower) collapsed. The restoration work on the prang was probably completed in the reign of King Prasartthong (1630-1655 A.D.). During the restoration the height of the prang was considerably increased.
Wat Mahathat was restored once again during the reign of King Borommakot (1732-1758 A.D.) when four porticos of the main prang were added. In 1767 A.D. when Ayutthaya was sacked the wat was burnt and has since then been in ruins.
"The face of the Buddha" with a tree growing around it.
< PREVIOUS HOME NEXT >