CHIANG MAI -- PART 6
CRAVING FOR AMERICAN FOOD
AND THEN NIGHT SHOPPING
WAT PHRATHAT DOI SUTHEP RAJVORAVIHARA
According to legend, holy relics discovered during the reign of King Kuena
(1355-1385) were placed in a howdah on the back of a white elephant, which
carried them to Wat Phrathat, then if dropped dead due to fatigue from long journey.
The present complex dates from the 16th century and was expanded or restpred
several times later. There are 306 steps, bordered by a NAGA balustrade, leads up
from the parking area to the temple, which has beautifully decorated buildings and a
Lanna-style chediscovered with engraved gold plates, flanked by four ornamental umbrellas.
SCHOOL FOR THE DEAF
with 400 students in Chiang Mai Province
The Thai manual alphabet
One of the Thai teachers
The lady principal (center) is talking.
Dormitory and cafeteria
One of the three deaf Thai teachers
< PREVIOUS HOME NEXT >